The photos in this album are all randomly taken photos of individuals during different occasions over the course of a year. I find it very intriguing and yet challenging as a photographer to be able to clearly capture a moment of any impulsively felt emotion reflecting to one’s expression and body pose. These two elements together compose a very powerful unconscious statement that can be perceived universally by others and yet can be interpreted uniquely given the chance. Each expression caught on camera here has a story behind them as though not all of them might be as deep they are all real.
1. Getting her makeup and hair done for her nieces wedding ceremony, she freaked out when the makeup artist wanted to use a blue eye shadow. She indicated that she had never worn blue eye shadow and doesn’t want to risk it before such a significant occasion for her. Samsun, Turkey
2. While going to get coffee from his regular local coffee shop mid photoshoot for his Tinder account, he overheard a dog barking which he indicated later that he thought sounded very familiar. San Francisco, CA
3. As she was annoyed with the wind and the sun after a very heavy yet delicious brunch, we started laughing of how we were complaining about ridiculous stuff. I took this photo when she was trying to calm down and stop laughing and she had a brief second of success, which is captured in this photo. Saratoga, CA
4. It was a very cold day and we were stuck waiting outside for the shuttle to the airport to arrive. Upon checking the time, I told him that we might miss the flight. This is right after I told him that, he got more and more angry at the situation following the seconds after this photo was taken. Istanbul, Turkey
5. As we were discussing how some tourists are out of control and wonders around purposeless, a man passing by loudly spit on the sidewalk. This is the moment where she saw that. The shot didn’t give her expression enough time to breath, as it reflects her slowly shifting her emotion in confusion. San Francisco, CA
6. After visiting a museum in Brooklyn, I made her pose for me for a mini photo shoot. I was directing her as other people started walking by the staircase we were at so she wasn’t able to hear what I was saying. The photo captures the moment where she was trying to make a meaning out of what I just said. Brooklyn, NY